• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► A Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus CGI series is rumored to be in the works

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Persona 3 was an 80-hour game compressed into four movies. So if we keep the same ratio for a 20-hour game, well...

But I gotta admit, I would be willing to forgive a great number of flaws if the KH movie had beautiful 2D animation like the P3 movies. But unfortunately that's not the medium the rumors are saying it's in :(
True, but a good chunk of those 80 hours people have played are spent on exploring Tartarus and side content(social links, getting Minato Arisato/Makoto Yuki’s social stats boosted, etc), while the movies focus on the main plot with the core SEES cast and show how our P3 protag grows across each movie.

I know you wouldn't be able to adapt everything from KH1 into multiple movies(I can't think of any way to adapt the Colosseum tournaments outside of episodes in a series), but when it comes to the core story of Sora’s quest to find Riku and Kairi, I could see it working.

Like I said before, I don't expect Disney to go the multi-movie route with this potential KH project, it probably will just be one movie. And like Antifa said, it’s gotta be a frustrating situation for whoever’s heading the project, not only from trying to make something that KH fans will hopefully like, but also from trying to keep the producers and investors at Disney happy. It's a hard tightrope for anyone to walk and not everyone can do it.

Chie

Awards
Yeah again I don't think there's any point in predicting the content of a movie from the starting place of editing the content of the game(s). That's simply not how professionals and executives are looking at it. They're going to rethink it from the ground up to work as a film, whether the result is good or bad.

It's not going to "keep" or "cut out" any given part. It's going to be a movie. If you're not thinking like that then any speculation is pointless.

Squood!

seibah
Awards
This is getting more and more painful to watch and proves why this isn't a good idea. No one can decide on what they want from a KH movie and so even if Disney took any post in here and used it as a blueprint, it would likely piss countless other people off.

I don't envy whoever's working on this. I hope they never have to deal with the hate that's hovering over their heads. And I hope most of you never make it to film and TV development.
The solution is right here: Just. Make. A. TV. Show.

Squood!

seibah
Awards
And you'd all still hate the show so 🤷
I'd like it if they keep it a cartoon/animoo and do it right.

Like, KH1 for example? Two seasons. S1 is the first half of the game and S2 is the second half. Maybe one of them good ol' hour long finales. And also a good studio to animate it

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
And you'd all still hate the show so 🤷

Almost certainly, because Disney isn't going to approve Ansem torturing people to see what their hearts do, and I ain't watching a KH movie or show that doesn't have Ansem hamming it up.

Is the target audience kids that have never played KH, or us, or casual fans? Yeesh. I'm echoing the sentiments expressed above; I don't envy whoever is in charge of this, it seems like an impossible project.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Given that it isn't going to have any bearing on the games you already know and love, some of you really need to make peace with and maybe even get excited about the likely possibility that this is going to be a horrible film.

Zackarix

Awards
Clearly the best solution is to turn Kingdom Hearts into a stage musical:
  • Musicals can have longer runtimes than theatrical films
  • Many of the worlds visited are already based on musical movies
  • People understand the limits of stage props, so the lack of anime designs will be easier to forgive
  • Ansem's song about Darkness would absolutely go viral

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Clearly the best solution is to turn Kingdom Hearts into a stage musical:
  • Musicals can have longer runtimes than theatrical films
  • Many of the worlds visited are already based on musical movies
  • People understand the limits of stage props, so the lack of anime designs will be easier to forgive
  • Ansem's song about Darkness would absolutely go viral
An attempt was made at this around ten years ago and it was apocalyptically bad. I commend the attempt but holy shit was it terrible-- I'm an enjoyer of all sorts of rotten things but I would not try to sit through that show again

And as someone who has seen and performed in many musicals and loved them-- Musicals that exceed two hours in length are terrible!! What an abusive thing to do to someone!! Two PLUS hours of musical? There should be laws.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Personally, I will only watch if it is a CW series where Sora has to learn about the epic highs and lows of high school football.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Oh man, now I'm thinking about DBZ Evolution. Maybe Sora is worried that Kairi doesn't like him, and Ansem is a high school teacher or something!

redcrown

Awards
I thought the Kingdom Hearts movie was only a rumor being touted by a guy who was throwing out anything to get people to pay for his pateron. Why is everyone here panicking as if this is really being produced, did I miss an official statement by Disney or Square Enix?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Oh man, now I'm thinking about DBZ Evolution. Maybe Sora is worried that Kairi doesn't like him, and Ansem is a high school teacher or something!

Ansem is Kairi’s mob boss father who recruits Riku into being his hit man. Oh and the Heartless is just the name of Ansem’s gang. The hearts are literal blood-pumping hearts Ansem is harvesting for an underground organ trafficking operation or something.

I thought the Kingdom Hearts movie was only a rumor being touted by a guy who was throwing out anything to get people to pay for his pateron. Why is everyone here panicking as if this is really being produced, did I miss an official statement by Disney or Square Enix?

Because we have nothing better to discuss. There’s currently nothing indicating the rumor is true other than that Nomura himself has said Disney has considered some kind of cinematic adaptation in the past. And this is likely just something perpetually in consideration, but may or may not ever make it through to production.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Yeah, just throwing out ideas. I don't think they'll ever do it. If Disney wants a villains greatest hits, they'll just do that. Why would they bother with the original story stuff?

Back